8 Jul 2011

The Fujifilm X100


After starting the shooting craze in 2007, and shooting the D90 for about 3 years, the Fujifilm X100 is something that I have been waiting for that is compact, light, works like a DSLR and above all, has a great functioning viewfinder (fact is it's got both the EVF and the OVF)

This camera is quite unlike the D90, its got its quirks and you will get blurred shots if you shoot it like a DSLR! No VR or vibration control here..the basic photography techniques applies each time you take a shot. Handling and composition becomes things that you will need when you go out shooting with the x100. No wonder the reviews stated that the X100 will slow you down. But then again that is why I went into photography in the 1st place ..to slow down and relax in this fast Singaporean pace of life. But that does not mean that the camera is a slow one..it's fast in adequate lighting conditions..it starts to hunt a bit in AFS when it gets darker..the AFC is great in focusing but it will use up more battery juice..

The built in flash is totally useable and the hotshoe even works with my Nikon SB 600 (totally manual, no TTL)
The Macro function allows me to enjoy shooting things that I can't normally do when I'm using my DSLR.

The retro leather case that comes free with the camera completes the look that Fujifilm intended for the camera. It's too nice a case that some ppl are thinking that it's too good to be true...:)

I am loving my X100!





Update: There is a firmware update [1.10] for the X100. It kinda ironed out a lot of stuff that was not implemented properly when the camera was launched. The response of the camera has improved ...but I 'm still waiting for Fuji to improve on the manual focus mode..:)


I have also procured a 3rd party Adapter ring and lens hood from a local shop. They work fine and even looks like the original and a whole lot cheaper. I also got the soft release made and designed by Singapore's very own Philip Tay. They are pretty low profile and comfortable, I will see how they really are when I start shooting heavily in Perth.
I also got one of the Zhou leather cases, The finishing is great and it has at least some protection over the rear end of the camera where the all the controls are. Unlike the original which leaves the whole area open bare.  Good and bad as it makes making adjustment easy without a piece of leather getting in your way when you do adjustments.
Finally the US$2/-  center pinch lens cap arrived today from Hong Kong..works really well. Now I can use the hood and be able to cover the lens/Filter with a lens cap.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment if you want to. Would love to hear from you!